Tuesday, March 6, 2012

All Grown Up?

So it would seem that perhaps Sparky is ready to be "that horse" - the horse that will go pretty much anywhere, do pretty much anything, and not get rattled by the occasional bad ride, bad spot, bad/scary/new fence, or llama.

Honorary Big Sister Jen recently took Star and Sparky to her place of employ to give lessons for her middle school IEA team.  I figured it would probably be okay... but part of me was still a little worried.  And I couldn't be there, because I was working!  In the afternoon, I received a text message from Honorary Big Sister Jen telling me that I HAD to call her as soon as I got off work!!!  Hmmm... so, as soon as I got off work, I called.

And Sparky was  perfect!  He nearly backed off the trailer without needing his driving reins (yes, my horse must be "driven" back off the trailer), and then clocked around with kids like he did it all the time.  He did, apparently, have one meltdown involving a llama, I believe, but (and this is a big "but") he recovered and carried on with his job.  He jumped everything in the arena (much of which he'd not seen before) and even swapped his leads during the practice equitation tests.  And finally, upon his return home, he backed off the trailer in a much more convential manner, requiring no driving lines at all.

I couldn't possibly be more pleased with my Napolean!  Apparently, Honorary Big Sister Jen told one of the girls that if I were there, I probably would have tears in my eyes.  I'm pretty sure she was right!  It's taken a very long time, but Sparky is finally turning into the horse I always knew he could be. =)

PS - Star was, of course, perfect as well. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment