Monday, January 31, 2011

It's coming...


Until recently, I owned the *perfect* breastplate. All flat leather, lots of adjustability, no loose, flapping ends, and not an overwhelming width. It was perfect.
And then it broke.
Now, I knew that my *perfect* breastplate was on its last legs - I'd had the damn thing for about 10 years, and it was on its way downhill when I got - so I had been searching for a replacement as perfect as the original.
Analysis: Perfect replacement does not exist.
There is a company called Bit of Britain. They cater mostly to eventers. (Come to the Dark Side... we have cookies.) Their in-house line of leather goods is called "Nunn Finer." I like Nunn Finer products. They are well-made, quality products that appeal to those who want workmanlike items that will last forever with proper care.
There is an Amish harness shop called Bartville Harness Shop in Middle-of-Nowhere, Pennsylvania. They cater mostly to people who want good quality, workmanlike leather goods. They sell their items at about half the cost of a normal retailer. Oh, and they make many of the Nunn Finer products for Bit of Britain.
As you may or may not know, The Boyfriend lives in the Bronx (yes, New York). I sometimes go to visit him. It turns out that Middle-of-Nowhere, PA is about 2.5 hours from the Bronx.
I like road trips.
Moral of the story: I now have a perfect replacement for the *perfect* breastplate being made by the Amish, to my specifications, for me. And it is going to cost me less money than purchasing an imperfect replacement at a normal retailer would. Even with the cost of gas for the roadtrip. YAY!

1 comment: